A Travellerspoint blog

Great to be Home

Tuesday, 15 November 2016

View 2016-09 Southampton to Sydney on greynomadm's travel map.

We sailed into Sydney well before sunrise and it was almost impossible to find a spot on the rails of the open deck. Everyone wanted a front row position. The use of tablets and large format phones made it difficult to take a shot between them. The entry was caught on commercial TV using a number of drones controlled from a boat with a miniature flight deck.

The ship was alongside her berth by 06:00 and the process of disembarking over 3000 passengers started. Each of us was assigned one of 30 or so groups and each group given an estimated time about 5 to 10 minutes apart. On advice from the baggage handlers and ship's agent staff ashore the time for a group to depart was announced at the various assembly lounges. Our was scheduled for 09:25, our colour and number was called about 10 minutes early.

The luggage pickup hall had deteriorated into chaos as not all the earlier groups had yet collected their luggage. As a consequence items for our colour number were scattered over different areas wherever there was some room. We tracked down our three articles which were were found in three places.

Set off to pass through the quarantine inspection where we were passed through but there were many who were sent off to have their articles assessed.

Out of the terminal building and onto a queue for a taxi. The queue was well managed and the allocation of cabs strictly on a first come, first served basis. Quite civilised really. Our coach to Canberra was booked for 12:00 and despite some heavy city traffic across to Central Station we managed to catch the 10:00 service by a mere 5 minutes. The trip is scheduled to take three and a half hours and we arrived about 10 minutes early.

Off the coach and into a cab and 10 minutes later we were home. The growth in the garden has been phenomenal, not only the flowers but the weeds too. My first priority was to unpack the computer and associated cables and power adaptors. Switched on the connection to the outside world and enabled unlimited WiFi and the download of overdue updates. Unpacked our cases and scoffed down some canned food as we'd completely eaten all perishables about two months ago. It will take a day or two to adjust and establish a normal routine.
I was surprised to find many FaceBook notifications!! I don't use FaceBook but had switched an option which links these postings to my FaceBook account. Thanks to those who did the 'Like' and 'Comments' via this media.

The journey is over and it has been a long one. The Captain's Log which records the position at noon each day also provides a summary of the total distance travelled between between ports and for the cruise as a whole. Southampton to Sydney was 16,642 Nautical Miles or 30,821 Kilometres.

I captured the Sydney harbour Bridge before disembarking, you can view my photo by following this link to the image.

Thank you to all who have followed my story for these 48 days afloat.

Wishing you good health and safe travel.
Have a great day and stay well.
Cheers .. Tony.

Posted by greynomadm 19:14 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint