A Travellerspoint blog

Phuket Town in Thailand

Wednesday, 26 October 2016

View 2016-09 Southampton to Sydney on greynomadm's travel map.

We arrived in Phuket with only vague outlines of land in sight due to a serious fog. The ship dropped anchor a considerable distance from the port, this was to be the first tendered port on this cruise. In addition to the ship's tenders there were a number of local boats that added significantly to the carrying capacity, The ship had deployed two separate docking points which enabled the simultaneous loading of two boats.

Our booked tour was in the form of a coach ride into Phuket Town and back with about three hours to do your own thing. The whole process went smoothly and we were aboard the coach by about 10:30 but due to massive congestion in the port we didn't go anywhere for about 30 minutes. Despite expectations of a massive traffic snarl, once we left the port the run into town was fairly free of delays. We were dropped off at the "Ocean Shopping Mall" by 11:45 with instructions that the first return bus would leave at 15:00.

After about two hours we were ready to return to the ship and made our way to the rendezvous point and found a number of other passengers who were also ready to return. The tour company staff made a quick count and confirmed there was a bus-load so called the bus forward. By just after 14:30 we were back at the tender jetty. Spent some time looking around the stalls and disposed of some small change by buying a tray of delicious paw-paw. Out onto the jetty and we were directed to one of the ship's tenders that was at the point of leaving. Last two to board and back to the ship.

The air-conditioned bliss of the ship was a welcome relief. It took barely minutes to strip off and jump under the shower. Started writing this journal, then dressed for dinner - excellent as always. After dinner went to the Explorer Lounge to listen to Jo Little a singer with a wicket stand-up comedy act. We'd missed her previous show in the Theatre and are thankful to have caught her act. She claims to be 4 foot 11 inches, with heels she was over 5 foot 3 inches. An amazingly powerful voice and her jokes came thick and fast. She finished her act to enthusiastic ell deserved applause.

Returned to the cabin and Alston asked if we'd been advised of a change of cabin. The background is that we had noticed that our cruise card was valid only to 28 Oct (Singapore). I had some days ago confirmed that we were book through to Sydney so we were not too worried. Jenny heard from her fellow knitters that there were people who had to transfer cabins while in Singapore. Back to Customer Services : "Yes, we will need to move you to your original cabin, Deck 5 Cabin 207." We were a bit surprised and told Alston and made sure there would be no laundry in the system on that day. At Alston's request I went down to Customer Services again, this time their response was "It would appear that you will be staying on Deck 12 Cabin 325." It will be interesting to see what comes of all this over the next two days.

Clocks forward another hour and we are on a mainly Southerly course to Singapore with another sea day tomorrow.

The chaotic nest of cables on a telephone pole impressed me and I've used that for today's image; you can view my photo by following this link to the image of those cables.

Wishing you good health and safe travel.
Have a great day and stay well.
Cheers .. Tony.

Posted by greynomadm 07:05 Archived in Thailand

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint